Monday, August 23, 2010

A Little Loopy

Lately, I find myself drawn to very unusual themes and items.  The more off-the-wall, the more drawn I find myself.  For instance, take a look at my latest Etsy favorites:


The general quirkiness draws me in like a moth to the flame. One of the things I really love about Etsy is that quirkiness is not only loved, but encouraged. Where else, but Etsy would I go to sell a ceramic catnip mouse, complete with a poem I composed for the occasion?  For some reason I felt completely compelled to make it, weird as it may seem.  My husband doesn't quite get it, but I'm figuring someone, somewhere will. 


I've been enjoying making pendants and buttons, texturing them with BURLAP. I love the look and feel, and from what I've seen so far, a lot of other people love it too.  I love pressing a piece of lace into the clay and getting the detail of the pattern.  I also enjoy tatting ( a kind of knotted lace making) so I've been tatting motifs to be used for molds and texture.  Seems a little crazy, huh? Making a time consuming type of lace, only to smoosh it into clay.  Keeping my fingers crossed that others will like it too.


So today, as my youngest child experiences her first day of Kindergarten and I'm alone all day for the first time in 13 years, I will embrace my quirkiness, enjoy the unusual works of art created by my friends at Etsy.



1 comment:

  1. Awww, first day of kindergarten, so sweet! Love the blog and I'm tickled to be among your quirky favorites! I understand completely why you would make a ceramic catnip mouse; there is someone out there who will want it :) My city has a motto "Keep Portland Weird"; I say, keep Etsy weird and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete